Drinking Fountain Restoration
The Edwardian Drinking Fountain is the only remaining structure in the park from the days when it was first opened to the public in 1906. The original fountain was built in 1907. Over the years it has fallen into disrepair and dilapidation. Recently the Trust was able to have it restored.
Brownhill Hayward Brown Architect were the architects appointed to carry out the restoration which is located near the Children’s Play Area off Abbey Road. The main contractor was Linford Bridgman.
They have restored its gothic roof canopy with clay titles and have repaired its granite base, adding in pieces which had been damaged or lost.
The area around the fountain has been re-landscaped to provide access up to and around the fountain and additional seating.
This work has been made possible by Cory Environmental Trust in Britain, WREN, Sandwell MBC and donations from members of the public.
Work began in Spring 2009 and was completed in July 2009. Although the fountain’s tiles have been damaged by vandals, we have a team of volunteers who are committed to replacing these tiles when necessary to keep it looking at its best and in November 2012 these volunteers changed the clay tiles to cedar shingles to make them less vulnerable to damage. The work was made possible thanks to 46 donations from individuals following a public appeal. Thank you to everyone who made this work possible.
Charity number: 1092754