Drinking Fountain Restoration
The Edwardian Drinking Fountain, built in 1907, is the only original remaining structure in the park from the days when it was first opened to the public in 1906. Unfortunately over the years the Drinking Fountain fell into disrepair and dilapidation, however recently the Trust was able to have it restored back to its former glory.
Key features have been restored, to include: its gothic roof canopy with clay titles and have repaired and its granite base, adding in pieces which had been damaged or lost. The area around the fountain has also been re-landscaped to provide access up to and around the fountain and additional seating.
Work began in Spring 2009 and was completed in July 2009. Although the fountain’s tiles have been damaged by vandals, we have a team of volunteers who are committed to replacing these tiles when necessary to keep it looking at its best and in November 2012 these volunteers changed the clay tiles to cedar shingles to make them less vulnerable to damage.
The work was made possible thanks to 46 donations from individuals following a public appeal. Thank you to everyone who made this work possible.
Brownhill Hayward Brown Architect were the architects appointed to carry out the restoration which is located near the Children’s Play Area off Abbey Road. The main contractor was Linford Bridgman. This work has been made possible by Cory Environmental Trust in Britain, WREN, Sandwell MBC and donations from members of the public.
Charity number: 1092754