Planning your visit
What will you find if you visit?
The site is around one third woodland which feels like you are out in the countryside. There is open grassland which is great for games and for dogs to run, and the slopes mean the site is very popular for sledging if there is snow. The 9 hole golf course is open to all and there are practice nets and putting areas. There is a children’s play area near the Abbey Road entrance and some swings for “older” visitors. We have also have an area called: “The Wilderness” which is in between the golf course and the main park area. This is a haven for a range of animals, plants and insects.
There are interpretation boards at each entrance describing what you might find there and some information leaflets are available from The Pavilion or can downloaded here. There are two “trail” leaflets available: one which helps children and families discover the identity of many of the main tree species. There is also a trail which leads you around the historically important parts of the site and has illustrations of the buildings that used to exist.
The shop in the Pavilion sells a range of items – not only things you need for golf, but lots of gifts, wildlife and doggy items, along with a selection of snacks.
There are a number of solidly surfaced paths which are suitable for buggies and wheelchairs. These run from entrance gate to entrance gate, so you can cross the park easily. There are also additional paths with are surfaced with semi loose material which would be suitable for most buggies and wheelchairs but may be harder to traverse. The site is formed by two sides of a valley and some gradients are steep.
The Pavilion is the public building in Warley Woods, it is frequently referred to as the Club House, or even the Golf Hut, but its official name is The Pavilion. Located by the Lightwoods Hill entrance, The Pavilion is home to:
- The café
- Public toilets (including disabled facilities)
- The shop
- The Alf Padgham (meeting) room and
- Trust Office
The Pavilion is an old building and is built on a slope and has steps outside and in, but we have temporary ramps which can give access to all areas – just ring the doorbell outside the shop and we will put them in place.
How to find us?
The address for Warley Woods is: The Pavilion, 101 Lightwoods Hill, Smethwick B67 5ED.
Opening Hours & Contact Details
Warley Woods is open 365 days a year, the golf course and café are only closed on Christmas Day.
The Pavilion has different opening hours during the Summer and in Winter months. Opening hours change in accordance with GMT.
Summer Opening Hours:
- The Shop – is open 8am – 6pm weekdays and 7am – 6pm weekends
- The Golf Course – as above. Last tee off time is when the shop closes
- The Office – 9am – 2pm weekdays only
Winter Opening Hours:
- The Shop – is open 9am – 4pm
- The Golf Course – as above
- The Office – 9am – 2pm weekdays only
The café is open 9am – 3pm weekdays, and 9am – 3.30pm weekends throughout the year.
If you have any questions that would help you plan your visit please call the Office on: 0121 420 1061.
If you wish to contact the Shop please dial: 0121 429 2440. If there is no answer staff may be dealing with a customer or out of the office temporarily – please use the answer phones to leave us a message – we will always call you back.
Entrances and Car Parking
There are two main entrances to Warley Woods. The first is to the south, off Lightwoods Hill, where you will find the car park (including disabled parking spaces), The Pavilion, Shop, Café and public toilets. The postcode for sat nav is B67 5ED. The second main entrance is to the north of the Woods off Abbey Road. Please note that the vehicle gates at Abbey Road are currently locked as a temporary security measure.
There are pedestrian gates around the park – two on the west side on Harborne Road and two on Lightwoods Hill. The park is unfenced to the East on Barclay Road where there is access and roadside parking all along the perimeter.
The small pedestrian gate between the Lightwoods Hill car park and the main driveway is locked when the last member of staff leaves. This can be 4pm in winter and 6pm weekends and 7pm weekdays in summer. The vehicle gates at Lightwoods Hill are locked at night. They are closed by staff when they leave the Pavilion, but will open automatically to allow anyone parked on site to leave, but no cars can come on, after locking up time.
The main vehicle gates on Lightwoods Hill and the small pedestrian gate from the Woods to the car park are locked when the shop closes (4pm at the earliest). However, anyone parked on the car park after hours, can still exit through the automatic gates. This is the only pedestrian gate which is locked. If in doubt ask staff nearby at the Pavilion who can tell you its locking time for that day.
Visiting by bus
All times and frequencies refer to Monday to Saturday daytime – please check with National Express before travelling.
- From Birmingham (Colmore Row) and Bearwood (Bear Tavern) Services 127/128/129 (towards Blackheath / Oldbury / West Bromwich) respectively run every 10 mins (combined). Nearest stop: Abbey Road, opposite Alexander Road, by meadow / car park 10 minute walk through the park to reach our building, The Pavilion
- From Blackheath and Brandhall service 127 (towards Birmingham) runs every 30 mins Nearest stop: Abbey Road, by Alexander Road, opposite meadow and car park
- From Oldbury service 128 (towards Birmingham) runs every 30 mins. Nearest stop: as above.
- From West Bromwich service 129 (towards Birmingham) runs every 30 mins. Nearest stop: as above. Alternatively service 48 (towards QE and Bartley Green) runs every 30 mins Nearest stop: Lightwoods Hill / Beechwood Road, near Pavilion entrance.
- From QE hospital, University station, Harborne, Bearwood Road / Sherwood Road (Peacocks) service 48 (towards West Bromwich) runs every 30 mins Nearest stop: Lightwoods Hill, just beyond Beechwood Road, near Pavilion entrance.
- From Bearwood bus station and Bearwood Road / Sherwood Road (Peacocks) service 49 (towards West Bromwich) runs every 20 mins Nearest stop: as above
Charity number: 1092754